Position: Bookkeeper, Big Apple Performing Arts ®
ABOUT BIG APPLE PERFORMING ARTS
Big Apple Performing Arts® is the non-profit management company for New York City Gay Men’s Chorus (NYCGMC) and Youth Pride Chorus (YPC). With over thirty years of history, innovative programs, and service to the LGBTQ community, BAPA is renowned for producing legendary performances, commissioning new works, and taking a leading role in the movement for social justice. Through the power of song and cutting-edge performances, we are fearless champions for love, equality, and acceptance. From Carnegie Hall to City Hall, from the AIDS crisis to the struggle for marriage equality, as well as today’s gender and identity politics, the choruses of BAPA have been leaders and activists in the New York City community since 1980.
- Full-charge bookkeeper for New York City Gay Men's Chorus and Youth Pride Chorus:
- Accounts payable: enter, code and pay all recurring and one-time bills, credit card transactions, payroll, and any other expenses of the organization
- Accounts receivable: enter, code and prepare deposits of member dues, contributions, performance fees, ticket reconciliations, merchandise sales and all other income to the organization, from cash, checks, credit cards and online sources
- Prepare customer invoices as requested
- Enter investment income and expenses and track transfers among accounts
- Enter income and expenses for several annual fundraising events and projects and reconcile to parallel records of the organization
- Reconcile all accounts on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Reconcile books with Executive Director's records on a regular basis, including monthly and annual reports and budget
- Communicate with vendors and governmental sources as needed
- Provide monthly financial reports to Executive Director: P&L, balance sheet, transaction reports, and other reports as requested. Make requested corrections and changes
- Assist with budgetary component of grant proposals
- Maintain financial files: deposits, invoices and check stubs, statements, insurances, tax files, payroll reports and account reconciliations
- Maintain and edit chart of accounts, current vendor and customer information, item- and other lists in Quickbooks
- Work with accountant on annual audit and tax preparation
- Work with New York State on annual payroll, workers compensation and unemployment audits
- Degree, certificate, or equivalent experience in bookkeeping
- Experienced Quickbooks user
- Comfortable in online environments
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word as well as Dropbox, Google Drive, QBox and similar online tools
- Strong preference for previous experience in a nonprofit environment, especially the arts
ABOUT THE POSITION
Time commitment: 3-7 hours a week, more during annual audit.
Salary: The compensation for this part-time, independent contractor position is from $30 to $40 per hour, commensurate with experience and skills.
Position start date: October 1, 2017.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to the address below. (Electronic submissions are preferred). Please list: ‘Bookkeeper Search’ in the subject line.
561 Seventh Avenue, Suite 701
New York, NY 10018
BAPA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BAPA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.